Today I am 26, but it doesn't feel like it and I don't look like it either!! I generally don't celebrate my birthday, given that it's on New Year and the focus is always on New Year and less so about my birthday. This year was a little different, I feel the need to celebrate it, but I am not sure how - until then I thought I'd share few things I've learned by 26. These are in no particular order, and trust me, I could probably go on and on but I don’t want to bore you - 25 was one hella hard year, it was an age of learning things the hard way and having life teaching me some hard life lessons the hard way. But all that aside, I am thankful for all the things that happened and to get to continue living and learning. Wishing all my Capricorn a Happy Birthday Month, sending you lots of love.
1. Take care of yourself. I cannot stress this enough, and its something thatI think we are not told enough of. Realizing that you're responsible for your own happiness, not your partner, friend or family. You know yourself better than anyone else and what makes you happiest.
2. Make sure you know what you're willing to struggle for. Often we give too much fuck about things that are pointless and meaningless. Knowing what you're willing to struggle for allows you to give fuck about things that really matter (From: The Subtle Art of Not Giving A Fuck by Mark Manson
3. I know it's hard to say this, but hard work sometimes doesn't work or pay off, but it doesn't mean you should give up. Keep working and pushing yourself, it will eventually pay off
4. Be kind to others, it cost nothing to be nice to people
5. People will disappoint you, but that's okay - you move on and don't hold it against them
6. Be comfortable with saying NO
7. Speak up!!! even if you think your idea is stupid!!
8. Be patient and everything will follow- you don't have to rush everything, take your time
9. You CANNOT control WHAT happen to you, but you CAN control How you respond to it
10. Being vulnerable is NOT a sign of weakness!
11. Your flaws, weakness, imperfections and scares make you who you are!! be proud of them
12. Always have an open door
13. Everything happens for a reason, even when the reason doesn't seem clear at first
14. Sometime life can be one mean montherfucker bitch!! but it's for a good reason, to make you see what you've been avoiding
15. Intentional distance is necessary sometimes in relationships
16. A glass of wine may make you feel better today, but you have to face your problems tomorrow, so find a productive and healthy way to deal with your issues
17. Seeing a therapist doesn't make you weak, sometimes we all need a stranger to talk to and hear us out
18. Be intentional
19. Take time off - go on vocations whether it's a long or short vocation, get out of town for a day or few hours
20. Life is now!! not yesterday or tomorrow - stop living in the past and live in the present, tomorrow cannot happen if you don't live today
21. Your work matter - no matter how insignificant or unimpressive you believe your work to be, there is value in it. Take pride in what you do and others will too. Commit yourself to a high level of quality work in your occupation, continually learn & improve yourself, and embrace failure as part of the process.
22. Isolation is avoidable. For us introverts, it's easy to fall into this self-inflicted trap. Make it a priority to surround yourself with people who are good for you. Even if it is just a few trustworthy comrades. No man is an island!
23. Be careful who you surround yourself with. Choose your influences wisely. They say you're the average of the five people you spend the most time with. Don't be too careful though or you'll just start hanging out with your succulents like one of my friends
24. Try new things!!! being a creature of habit is great, but it's dangerous when it prevents you from learning or trying new things
25. READING!! always have book that you're reading
26. Be open to change. Especially when it comes to people in your life.